Sunday, December 01, 2013

The great return: Scott Campbell talks Great Showdowns 2


That's right, it's back! Scott Campbell's long awaited Great Showdowns sequel, Great Showdowns: The Return has been released! Published by Titan Books, the latest book features a brand new collection of illustrations depicting memorable cinematic conflicts in that classic, charming, Scott C. style. In case you missed it, I interviewed Scott C. back in 2012 about his first publication (you can read it here). Recently, I had the chance to catch up with Scott C. about his work over the past year, his favorite films, and Great Showdowns: The Return. Read below!
 
+++
The Interview
+++

 
Congratulations on the second edition of the Great Showdowns! This is the second time I've had the pleasure to interview you. Anything new since we last spoke in November, besides the publication of your latest book?
Yes! I've had two children's picture books come out this past year: East Dragon, West Dragon by Robyn Eversole and If Dogs Run Free by Bob Dylan. ONI Press also published a couple collections of my old web comics called Double Fine Action comics. Aside from that, I've just been working on these kids books over here. With a dash of video game stuff.

I see that the Office Space fax machine made it in to the latest book, though not the first Great Showdowns! Were there any other showdowns that didn't make the cut this time that we can hope to see in later books?
Oh for sure! That is the great thing about cutting things from these books. It is nowhere near as traumatic as it could be because they'll probably just slip into the next one. I can't say which right now, but let me know which ones you would like to see and i will try my darnedest to make it happen next time.

 
In our last interview, you said the Ghost illustration was your favorite showdown thus far. Do you have a new favorite from the latest book?
I think Grease is my favorite from this round. Just because their bodies make me feel so good. They are dancing and enjoying themselves in a jiggly way. I am probably more proud of how John Travolta's face turned out in that showdown than any faces in any of the rest of the showdowns. It just makes me so pumped when i look at it. What a jolly, goofy dude John is in that.


Have you thought of, or ever created, a series of showdowns based off of different pop-culture references? For instance video games or sensational news (like Miley Cyrus vs. Robin Thicke, etc.)?
I've done a few special series for art shows like the LOST showdown series or the I Am 8 Bit show for old school video games, but it has been awhile. Sony hired me to do a poster for the finale of Breaking Bad where i put all of the characters that have ever appeared on the show just standing on a mountain. That's not really a showdown, but it felt like it a bit. There are showdowny vibes in there for sure. 


Do you intentionally omit movie titles from your illustrations to test readers?
Yes! I think that is part of the fun. Looking at it with your friends and family and getting stumped. It feels more fun that way. And if a person gets frustrated, they can just take the book next door and ask the neighbors making a new friend in the process. The Great Showdowns are about friendship through confrontations. 



Speaking of fun, I like to play a game with my friends to see who can guess the most movies based on your illustrations--it's like an evaluation of our movie history prowess. Ever considered making a Great Showdowns card/boardgame?
Oh, man, I would love to do that. Bery much so. I looooove board games. Anyone want to help? I need to nail down some rules.

 We know you're a movie buff of sorts, but do you have any other hobbies/interests outside of film? Like stamp or rock collecting?
I like going to see comedy a whole lot. And I love working with kids. I have been visiting schools with my picture books, trying to get kids pumped about things.  Getting kids pumped is the best because then I get pumped, so it is a circle of good vibes. Then I can go back into the studio and make things with this new kid energy.

+++
Rapid-Fire Questions
+++

Once again, I like to ask a couple of random, rapid-fire questions that don't really pertain to anything.  Hope you're ready!
I am ready now! 

Do you possess any odd skills?
I do a good Bobcat Goldthwait impression.
 
Favorite holiday?
Christmas 

If you found a magic lamp with a  genie in it who promised to grant you three wishes, what would you wish for?
A desert island, some extra cash, year supply of pizza. 

Favorite movie of all time?
Star Wars: A New Hope 


 
+++ 
 
Still can't get enough of Scott C.? Check out his OH!'s past interview with the artist as well as Scott's blog, livestream, and the Great Showdowns website.
Also, don't forget Great Showdowns: The Return is in stores now! If you want to get your hands on a copy of book, you can buy it online here or check your local bookstore.

3 comments:

  1. I love these so much and his interviews are always really entertaining!!! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have really enjoyed reading his interviews and getting familiar with his work! Can't wait to see what else he come up with, a card game would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got another one!? Great! I'm surprised you didn't ask why he's going more chronologically, most likely in the order he experienced, with his showdowns.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis